Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Highlight of the week!

This week was a tie between two very different outlets:

The first goes to the 1500 gallery, exhibiting the work of Tuca Vieira.  Described as "Germany meets Brazil,"the exhibit displays the Paulistano's influence from his studies in Düsseldorf.  The photographs are quite stunning, all of buildings/structures at night.  I'm no art expert, but I give it two thumbs up- the silence all of them exude is daunting, and despite appearing abandoned they derive power and significance from their own presence.  I didn't see the contrast between Old and New Berlin which he was apparently depicting, but again, there is a lot these layman eyes wouldn't pick up on while nevertheless appreciating sheer beauty.

The gallery itself is fairly new (I believe it is coming up on its one year anniversary), and is definitely something to put on the "to do" list.  It focuses on Brazilian art; there were two pieces left over from the last exhibit which made me super excited, as that showcase had seemed equally interesting.  Keep 'em coming 1500 Gallery!


The second highlight belongs to the XVI lounge.  I was originally planning on going to High Bar, as I have thoroughly enjoyed myself each time I have gone.  I was surprised to find that within the past month it has changed management.  While I have nothing but good things to say about High Bar, I have to admit that XVI has done a pretty fine job of sprucing up the place.  It's a rooftop bar in midtown that provides a calm oasis from the madness of Times Square.  Elegant and chic, the lounge manages to drown out the yells, horns, and chaos which are ubiquitous in its neighborhood.  One of the most interesting aspects of the locale is the entrance; you have to first pass through a winding, pitch-black hallway and find your way to the elevator before reaching the penthouse floor- really giving you that "insider" feeling.  I was fortunate enough to go just as it opened.  The sun was still retiring and the only audible sounds were those of the rustling wind and of the tranquil, ambient music escaping the stereos.  As the night progressed (and I have to admit I stayed later than originally planned- good setting + good company will do that to you), the music became more upbeat.  I can imagine that on the weekend they have quite a happening DJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment