Tuesday, May 31, 2011

La Sfida Italiana; Standing Out in a Crowd of Thousands

Close your eyes and think of the number one type of cuisine in New York City restaurants.  Did you guess Italian?  If not, was it in the top three?  No?  Ok well I tried...read on anyway!

If you did think Italian restaurants were among the most common in NYC, your answer coincided with a the results of a mini-survey I conducted with co-workers, friends, and the guy who hangs out at my subway stop for no apparent reason.

Zagat lists over a thousand Italian restaurants in NYC.  Keeping that in mind, Italian restaurants have to work harder to draw in and keep clients than say, one that showcases cuisine from Sweden.

Food is a critical aspect of a restaurant, but by no means does the buck stop there.  This week I went to two Italian restaurants, both in Midtown- Terrazza Toscana and 44 SW.  Did I enjoy the food?  Yes.  Did I enjoy my company?  Absolutely!  Will I remember these places a week from now?  Nope.  Well, at least, not for the right reasons.

Let's talk about the first venue, Terrazza Toscana.  The outdoor patio on the second floor lured me in, as it has an open seating area which gives it its name- very picturesque with ivy vines winding around the framework.  Ambiance A+.  Now, it was late in the evening, so we asked the hostess before sitting if they were still open. The response was "yes, on the second floor."  When we got up there the waiter informed us that the kitchen had closed and that we could get drinks, but would have to leave by the time the other tables left.  #communicationfail

We got a glass of wine each- wine which, to be candid, was among the best I've had recently.  After our second or third sip, the bill was plopped on our table.  We hurried through the glass, keeping an eye on our neighbors and basing our experience on the timing of theirs.  When we paid the bill, we split it between two cards, something which, judging by the look the waiter gave us, was the equivalent of abducting his first-born in exchange for a ransom.

The Chianti and atmosphere were outstanding, but the Terrazza has far too many competitors to be able to afford slip-ups in service.

Now let's move on to 44 SW, beginning with the name.   If I were confused about the location, this restaurant would have the perfect title.  That is, unless I forget the name as well, in which case I am completely out of luck.  The service here was significantly better, despite a few hiccups and forgotten requests.  When we were actually successful in getting the attention of the waitress, she did make a concerted effort to engage and recommend menu items.  And the suggestions were fantastic- I could go on and on to describe the amazing spinach and cheese ravioli I ordered.  I could NOT do the same thing about the restaurant's character.

A setting bland enough to match the name, the restaurant had absolutely nothing that made it stand out or catch the passerby's eye.  Admittedly I was already tired, but it was all I could do to keep my head from falling into the panna cotta.

Both of these restaurants had mouth-watering menu items.  But when there are so many options to choose from in the city when it comes to good Italian food, the plate alone does not cut it.  If you want to sell something thousands of other people are selling, you have to do something to stand out (for the right reasons) in order to make you unique from everyone else.  Otherwise, prossima fermata!

No comments:

Post a Comment